Vote for Vuze!

Vuze would be more awesome if it could ...

Auto replace trackers in magnet links, copy and paste for tracker group(s)

It is annoying when frequently downloading magnet links to find I don't want some or all of the trackers provided and instead wish to swap them out with my own preferred ones to have to manually go through a long-winded process of three or so different menus to get to tracker groups and trackers and manually change them.

(I've also noticed recently that sometimes trackers/tracker groups you edit, delete, return! Is this a consequence of the DNS protocol implementation or something imposed by the hash?)

Anyway, I want a feature in Vuze that will, on accepting a magnet link, find and replace undesired trackers with favored ones - automatically - so I don't have to keep faffing about with this time-consuming mundane manual changing. I would also like there to be a way to copy and paste one tracker group of favored trackers instead of having to tediously copy each individual tracker, one by one, from some previous download where it was useful into the current download(s) I want to speed the downloading up.

If you too feel my pain regarding what I am getting at here, vote for this.

10,010 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    The Dude shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

28 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nikko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The support within Vuze to save templates and easily merge with a button is great - however, what I think some of us are asking for is the ability to have a template auto-merge or auto-relace the tracker list when new downloads are added.

• FeRDNYC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Airbus: While using the Adder plugin is definitely one way to address this issue, the outcome of this report was that support for tracker-list manipulation was added directly into Vuze — with version 5.3.0.0, you can do the same thing directly by using the Tracker Templates tag feature. The template (which can be a Merge or total-Replace of the original list) will be automatically applied anytime you assign that Tag to a torrent.

There's no reason you NEED to stop using the Adder plugin and move to the built-in functionality; if you prefer the plugin and it works for you then that's great. I just wanted to let you know that the feature is now part of Vuze itself.

• Airbus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same concern, but thanks to the comment of "Filipe Augusto" below, I installed the Plugin and so it is now fine for me !

(My Vuze version: V5.3.0.0 )

* Tools > Plugins > Installation Wizard...
        * Choose Install from Sourceforge.net
        * Choose the "Tracker URL Adder" plug-in.

Now when you right-click on a torrent a new line, "Add Tracker URLs" is there in the context menu.
        Then, the first time you will have to enter the trackers manually (I copied - paste from my trackers list text file).
        Next times the trackers you entered were remembered, you just have to click OK !

Sweet, having installed Vuze beta (now) 5.2.0.1_B20, I've confirmed that comma-separated tags in RSSFeed apply with no problems, and savepath-moving upon tagging of never-started import torrents works like a charm — including torrents loaded from magnet: links! Good stuff.

I've also determined that download location rules are respected for torrents tagged by RSSFeed, making its own internal "Directory:" setting technically redundant since the same thing can be achieved through appropriate tagging. (I don't think that's necessarily a reason to remove the RSSFeed savepath feature, but it's good to know.)

I can't personally think of anything else on this, as things stand everything seems to be working as it should... at least as far as my expectations of the feature go. I think I may have to reluctantly stop whining about it. I'm sure I'll find some other feature I can redirect my attention to, though. ;-)

Thanks again!

Wow, that was quick! I just got the update popup for RSSFeed 1.4.9_CVS and installed it, I'll configure some feeds for multiple tags now, then I just have to wait for something new to come over one of my feeds later tonight.

I completely understand re: the side-effects issue, with file moving — I've seen how even things like .part renaming can get squirrelly, and I can only imagine the complexity of the code involved, in order to try and cover all of those bases. I'll await the next beta and let you know how things look with that change.

The other possibility I thought of, in reading your previous comment, would be to add a completely new torrent state — something like "Imported" or "Initial" — for torrents that have been loaded but not yet started. I assume that would be a much more involved change, and perhaps it's overkill for the purpose. But I figure it's fairly common for torrents to arrive other than via the Open dialog (through various feature/plugin means), where there's often no way to assign various "setup" parameters other than after-the-fact. (Initial download location is one example, but there are probably others, or may be in the future.) A distinct state, separate from Stopped, could limit on-add effects on those params to just those torrents, and help to isolate them from the various other kinds of stopped torrents where they could become nasty side-effects.

• AdminVuze (Admin, Vuze) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Next beta will apply 'initial download location' to torrents that are added in a stopped-state and have yet to be started - hopefully this addresses your issue

plugin version 1.4.9 should support multiple tags when you comma separate them - tell me how it goes.

As for applying 'move to' operations more generally when assigning a download to a tag, I wanted to avoid the possible issues associated with accidentally tagging things and getting nasty unwanted side effects... that's why I limit to 'on add' and 'on complete' - I guess if you have them added in a stopped state then the initial tag thing could be extended to apply to downloads in an 'add-stopped' state.

I'd been meaning to update on this for a while now, as I've been using it regularly over the past couple of months.

Basically, overall, it works and works well. Everything that comes in via RSSFeed Scanner is automatically given a tag that I've configured with a tracker template, and that template adjusts the tracker list to my specifications. Quite useful, and much appreciated! Many thanks.

The remaining thoughts I have are mostly tangential issues that came up while testing this feature, but are really outside the scope of this Suggestion. I'll post them here just to get them down, but let me know if you'd prefer I create new Suggestion items (or some other report) for any of them.

1. MULTIPLE TAGS IN RSSFEED
        ----------------
        Now that RSSFeed Scanner supports tagging, it seems limiting that it can only apply a single tag to an incoming torrent. Since one of the advantages tp tags is that they're not mutually exclusive, perhaps the field could take a comma-separated list? (Bonus points if Category names can also be supplied in the list, though of course if multiple Categories are specified only one will be assigned. See my previous comments for why I still find Categories useful.)

2. APPLYING DESTINATION PATH
        ----------------
        My torrents that come in automatially via RSSFeed all get set to the proper destination path, though I'm not really sure whether it's the plugin or the tags doing that. (I have the same destination paths configured in both places.) That part works fine...

So now, I'm finding that it's my "manually" loaded torrents which AREN'T going to the right places. Those torrents are all added, in initial Stopped state, by one of two means. Most come in via the HTML Web UI, which is passed magnet: links (from that Firefox extension I mentioned previously). A few are autoloaded from the "Import new .torrents automatically" path, which points to a Dropbox-synced folder that I can remotely add torrent files into. Either way, because they're autoloaded (again, no Open dialog) they all start out configured for the default destination. I was hoping that when I apply a Tag that has its destination path set, the torrent's data files would be auto-moved there... but that doesn't seem to be the case. (I had been achieving something similar using Categories and the AzCatDest plugin, which did auto-move data files when a Category was applied. Most of the time it worked, sometimes for no discernible reason it would silently fail to do the move.)

Version 1.4.8 of the feed scanner is out for beta users. There is an issue with the 'initial save location' tag feature when tagged by the plugin which will be fixed in B49 that will be released later today. Tag buttons is a possibility I guess.

I was going to say the Save Path plugin (which can be configured to direct torrents into subfolders by Category) — but I see that's actually superseded by Tags, since they have their own built-in configurable download location support. So, other than RSSFeed Scanner, offhand I can't think of anyplace else. At least, not in my setup.

Well... actually, it's not a strict dependence, but the other thing I find Categories useful for is filtering the lists in My Torrents, using the Category button bar at the top of each pane. It doesn't look like non-category Tags show up there; it would be nice to be able to show buttons for (at least some) Tags, so they could be used for filtering in the same way Categories are now.

Hmmm. Trying out B48 now, It looks like setting up an auto-apply template is only possible on Manual type Tags? Would it be possible to enable the functionality on Category Tags as well? Or is there any workaround so that templates could be applied to downloads when they're placed in certain categories?

I realize that Tags are intended as a replacement for Categories in the long term, but right now there are quite a few places in Azureus and its components where Tags aren't understood. One of them is the RSSFeed Scanner plugin, which automatically loads the majority of my torrents from various RSS feeds. It has no concept of Tags, but it CAN automatically assign a Category to each torrent it imports. If the automatically-created Category Tags were able to have templates assigned to them, then (I'd hope) the template could be automatically applied when RSSFeed assigns the given Category to the torrent.

Otherwise (unless there's some workaround I'm missing, like a way to auto-Tag torrents in a Category?), I'm still left having to manually apply the proper Tag to each torrent, in order to have the template applied.

Thanks for the good feedback.

In 5101_B46 I have added Tag based auto-template application, you can set up one or more templates to be merged/replaced on a Tag. When one or more downloads is added to the Tag they will be applied. This is also the case if you tag a download during addition in the open-torrent-options dialog. If you change the list of templated being applied then they will be re-applied, but if you just edit an existing template this will not cause them to be re-applied. In this case you could remove all the downloads from the tag and then add them again. I guess a 'sync' option could be added if this would appear to be a common use-case.

I didn't look into adding a Torrents menu/library context menu option to do this as I like the Tag based approach. However, this could also be considered if it still seems useful.

I kicked the tires a bit on the new feature — it's definitely helpful, and a good beginning IMHO. Creating templates is straightforward enough (though perhaps a "clone current list as template" feature would be helpful — I got around that by cutting-and-pasting from one text-mode view to the other) and applying them from the tracker-editor dialog works nicely.

If I have any major complaint, it would be that the feature's a bit clunky to use as currently implemented. Perhaps that's not an issue when opening a torrent file, but to be honest I didn't even test that feature because I only SEE the Open Torrent File dialog a few times a year. I run Azureus on a remote server and control it via VNC, so early all of my torrents are added either remotely from browser links / magnet URLs (passed to Azureus by the "BitTorrent WebUI+" Firefox extension) or automatically by the RSSFeed Scanner plugin. So, my torrent management is done exclusively using the interfaces provided for controlling already-loaded torrents.

From that POV, while template-creation is fine, the process of applying a template is rather involved and time-consuming, when you really want it to be as quick and accessible as possible. At the very least, I'd think we'd want to be able to apply templates from the Torrent menu (or "My Torrents" list context menu). The most-obvious place would be underneath Torrent > Advanced > Tracker/Torrent, but that's already buried pretty far. So, what I would suggest is to add a "Tracker Template" submenu where "Assign Category" and "Tags" are now, at the top level. To keep from polluting that menu for most users (who won't need the feature), the menu option could appear only after at least one template has been created.

These should also support multiple selection when used in the "My Torrents" context menu, to operate on multiple torrents at once. (Same as "Assign Category", "Tags", Up/Down speed limits, and others.) I don't exactly know how to best handle the Replace vs. Merge question; as things stand right now I guess it would require two menu items per template. Personally, I'm not sure how much value there is to making that decision "on the fly" — it's my suspicion that most templates will always be used as either one or the other. It might be cleaner to set a flag for Replace/Merge when editing the template, and then just have an "Apply" button/menu-item that always performs the operation in the selected manner. (Anyone who really DOES want to have both choices available to them every time can always create two templates, one configured each way.)

That would make the manual process a lot cleaner (IMHO), to the extent there needs to be a manual process. The "Holy Grail", of course, would be full automation, assigning a certain template automatically to certain sets of torrents - per Category/Tag seems like an obvious first division. But perhaps that sort of functionality is best implemented in a plugin that leverages the built-in template feature... I'm thinking something very similar to the current "Save Path" plugin, but operating on template assignment instead of data file location.

Thanks again for your attention on this, I really think it could prove quite handy for some of us!

Latest beta gives you the ability to define one or more templates (sets of trackers) and then either *replace* a download's trackers with the template or *merge* the template into the download's tracker list by hitting a button in the edit screen.

The ability to edit a download's trackers when adding the download has also been added to the 'open torrent options' dialog - you can control whether or not this is always shown via Tools->Options->Files. Your 'mode' needs to be 'intermediate' or higher to see this in the dialog.

Does this satisfy most people's needs or does more need to be done? If so a simple description of how you would envisage any extensions would be useful.

The text-based editing is a REAL time-saver, that was a great idea by whoever added that feature.

I tend to go in, delete the ones I know won't work for me, and then rearrange the listed trackers into tracker groups. (Because I don't need FOUR or FIVE separate connections going out to get the same data from the same host(s), via different ports/protocols.)

A button to sort the text list would be a huge time-saver. It would have to do an intelligent sort by domain/hostname to be of much use, though, since that's what the real "ordering" should be.

The text list also makes me think the rest of this idea could potentially take the form of a plugin that munges the list — perhaps using regular expressions to group like trackers, as well as match "banned" ones and excise them. (I've thought about writing a Perl script to do much the same. I could cut/paste the text list to feed to the script, and it would spit it back out in my "optimized" form for pasting back in.)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

oh i've wanted REAL tracker management for ages.
        I mean deleting all the trackers and putting in open trackers or whatever the who i want.
        and whether in the actial torrent file on disk, or the 'meta' one maintained privately to and within Vuze.
        vuze makes tracker management really hard, especially with the gui only way of one by one editing :-(

← Previous 1
      When writing a new idea, please keep it clean and civil. Please limit yourself to one idea per entry. Entries containing multiple ideas confuse the voting proccess.

Visit the Vuze Development Blog to check out the progress of your ideas

Vuze is Open Source - can't wait for your feature to be implemented? Write it yourself! See the Vuze Wiki for an introduction to doing this and visit the Development Site for developer resources.

Feedback and Knowledge Base