Vote for Vuze!

Vuze would be more awesome if it could ...

Allow closing/hiding of the "Vuze Component/Plugin Installer" progress window

Currently when Vuze is updating itself or any of its components, the progress dialog stays up during the entire process, covering part of the main window and not allowing itself to be lowered or minimized (without minimizing the main Vuze window as well).

However, despite the implication the Vuze interface is still perfectly active and usable during this process. Because the updates are downloaded and installed from torrents it can take some time to complete, time which the user may reasonably wish to do other things. The user may also have final tasks they wish to perform once the update process is complete, before allowing the application to restart.

I'm a Linux user, so fortunately I have the option of windowshading the update dialog, which gets it mostly out of the way. Still, it's silly to have to do that, since the dialog's processing doesn't actually block normal use of the application. Really, it should be closeable if the user doesn't wish to watch its progress, automatically reopening in Restart-Now/Restart-Later state once the operation is complete.

Heh. In fact, the installer window is weirdly decoupled from the rest of the interface. Just now, while switching to the Beta program, I had the Component/Plugin Installer window sitting open in Done state waiting for me to click on restart, and an Updater window popped up telling me that I need to update to 5.2.0.1_B17 (the version that just finished installing in the OTHER dialog)!

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    FeRDNYC shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • FeRDNYC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry, I'd been meaning to get back to this one. Is this change meant to be included in the current builds? I just tried again with 5.3.0.1_B02, and under Linux with the LXDE desktop / openbox window manager the results were the same as previously (and the same as when I originally created this suggestion): Neither the Update nor Plugin Installer windows can be lowered behind the main Azureus window, and if they're minimized the main window gets pulled along with them. I'm not seeing any change in behavior; is there something I'm missing?

• FeRDNYC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hmm. At least in my environment (Fedora 19 i686, LXDE desktop, openbox WM), under 5.2.0.1_B21 attempting to minimize either the "Updater" popup dialog or the "Vuze Component/Plugin Installer" by-request dialog also minimizes the main Azureus window. Also, both dialogs are still floated permanently on top of the main window, and cannot be lowered behind it.

When writing a new idea, please keep it clean and civil. Please limit yourself to one idea per entry. Entries containing multiple ideas confuse the voting proccess.

Visit the Vuze Development Blog to check out the progress of your ideas

Vuze is Open Source - can't wait for your feature to be implemented? Write it yourself! See the Vuze Wiki for an introduction to doing this and visit the Development Site for developer resources.

Feedback and Knowledge Base