Vote for Vuze!

Vuze would be more awesome if it could ...

Intelligent/Assignable Seeding Priority by Tracker (Available Bandwidth Seeding)

Intelligent/Assignable Seeding Priority by Tracker (Available Bandwidth Seeding)

We already have seeding priority by ratio, peers, etc. What VUZE doesn't have (and other clients do) is an assignable IMPORTANCE value for each seed with bandwidth management of seeding.

EXPLANATION
Most torrenters seed only until such time that their ratio obligation (or goal) is fulfilled, than delete. This is convenient for the individual, but a bit selfish. This leaves trackers with loads of dead torrents, many of them very interesting and very hard to find. I committed to keep everything I download on seed indefinitely. This can be done with intelligent/assignable priority and bandwidth management.

HIGH PRIORITY
Some seeds are extremely precious (1. on very good trackers with very little upload/download activity - I want to capture every bit of ratio; 2. trackers with very strict ratio rules - I want to capture every bit of ratio). I would assign these seeds a HIGH priority. When a seed starts uploading in this category, it should get my full bandwidth. All lower priority seeds should get proportionately a lower percentage of my bandwidth.

MEDIUM PRIORITY
These are for trackers where I have a very good ratio or for seeds that have already reached a certain goal (such as 3:1). When a seed starts uploading in this category, It should share the bandwidth nicely with all others, but decrease bandwidth if a HIGH PRIORITY seed kicks in.

LOW PRIORITY
These are for ratio-less trackers and for trackers I have an unbeatable ratio or seeds that have been downloaded over a certain goal (such as 10:1). When a seed starts uploading in this category, It should get full bandwidth if no other higher priority seeds are uploading. If a higher priority seed kicks in, it should decrease bandwidth. If many higher priority kick in, the low priority seeds should pause, until such time as the higher priority seeds have finished.

Instead of deleting torrents after reaching a goal (could be only DAYS), many/most seeds would end up here (for perhaps YEARS). Even with hundreds/thousands of torrents seeding, it is a random game of chance what seed gets downloaded and when. There are times when there is no activity for HIGH or MEDIUM priority torrents, at such times the LOW priority guys should use my entire bandwidth. However, here comes the HIGH priority seed I've been waiting for weeks to upload: move over lower priority torrents, let this guy upload at my max bandwidth. Soon he will be finished, so the lower priority torrents kick in again and folks happily finish their downloads.

I submit to you: for the general interest of torrenting (long term), what is better: stopping seeding when your personal goal was reached (and having lots of dead seeds) or continuing to seed on an "available bandwidth" basis. The upload/download may be slower, but it will complete.

Remember also that the more people adopt this seeding strategy, the effect is cumulative: instead of having only 1 (one) very slow "available bandwidth" seed (me), you'd have many more people like me "available bandwidth" seeding, so a download may actually move pretty fast between all of us.

Remember also that the more people adopt this seeding strategy, the more live and healthy torrents we would encounter (with fewer dead torrents).

An implementation of this strategy would provide for three priority values:
HIGH
MEDIUM
LOW
A more refined implementation would provide 10 priority values: 1 for highest priority, 10 for lowest priority and all other numbers in between.

A good implementation of this strategy would provide for both automated and manual controls:

Automated controls
Assign a tracker (by URL) a certain priority value. After downloading, all torrents move to seeding to the pre-assigned priority value.
Of course, new or non-assigned trackers would be assigned a middle priority value until such time as a priority value is assigned to the tracker (URL).
This would be good in most instances and save a lot of operator time.

Manual control (override)
Assign a torrent a certain priority value, overriding the automated assignment.
This would be good for over downloaded torrents (you are already at 20:1 on this one, don't delete the torrent, move it to the low priority zone).
If you see that someone has been struggling for a week to complete your only one seed at very low speed, crank it up to a higher priority for a while.

Thanks for your consideration.

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ccrisvuze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      When writing a new idea, please keep it clean and civil. Please limit yourself to one idea per entry. Entries containing multiple ideas confuse the voting proccess.

Visit the Vuze Development Blog to check out the progress of your ideas

Vuze is Open Source - can't wait for your feature to be implemented? Write it yourself! See the Vuze Wiki for an introduction to doing this and visit the Development Site for developer resources.

Feedback and Knowledge Base